Monday, September 6, 2010

Starting Point: Finland Part 2

Starting Point: Finland Part 2
Christian Symphonic Metal, Industrial and
The most unknown band that could be Metallica in disguise

   Looking back at all my links I have so much to share but I want it to go in a progression that all makes sense but I hadnt yet focused in on symphonic metal but this first one is truly one of the first I bookmarked and thus was a gateway to find more. Most of my early links were all bands from Finland and its interesting to note that the culture of Heavy Metal is so strong there that metalheads are the majority. So much so that even a church has "heavy metal ceremonies" and the church is actually built of stone and rock and is the inspiration for the Lordi breakout hit "Hard Rock Hallelujah". But I have found a large array of bands from Finland that aren't necessarily Metal. There is a very distinct Alt-Rock scene, Industrial, Punk and even 80s glam. What really blew me away was a Christian Metal Symphonic Metal band - not my thing at all but so impressive I have to include it here, where I found it - in the beginning,


HB - It Is Time Christian Symphonic Metal: 2008 - Unwaveringly Christian is HB (short for "Hard Black" or as I've read "Heaven Bound") and they are an immediate force once you start to watch and listen. This is no weak attempt to be metal or cheesy "we rock for Jesus" gimmick. The music is genuine as is the message and there is no getting around it. Uncompromising isn't a word usually associated in this genre and I commend it. There is the full on heavy metal attack and attitude, the beautiful melodies sung superbly, and the video which draws you in with their good looks and sleek production. You begin to look for a twist thinking it cant be - but its all as it appears. 
  This is the song that really led me into finding other symphonic bands that I will share later. My next question was, was there such thing as Finnish Industrial ? I am very excited to introduce to you one of my very favorites - Velcra!


Velcra - Our Will against Thier Will   Finland: Industrial/Metal 2005. This is my introduction to Velcra in their early years of Metal merged with industrial and rap elements. They remind me of a band very close to me, Phoenix/Nebulin. The singer is Jessi Fray and her voice is unbelievable - At top volume rapidfire lyrics are delivered raspy and with rage and then in the melodic moments its clear, distinct and strong in tone. She also has a soft, whisper range in later works which she completely showcases her range. Here, in one of their songs off the debut disc Between Force and Fate- you can get influences of early chant-based industrial like Nitzer-Ebb, I also hear some Rage Against the Machine. Some fans instantly compare them to Guano Apes, who I find to be more commercial, slipping into a Limp-Biscuit style. Velcra, on the other hand have grown and expanded their style since. I will be featuring more here from this amazing band.



Diablo - Icaros    Finland: Metal 2008: I kept coming across this band and because they were so metal - and I never heard of them - I kept dismissing them. I was simply looking for something, well that didn't sound like mainstream metal. Then I stumbled onto this one- the title caught me. I know the story of Icaros so this should have at least something to it and to say its impressive would be understating it. The band has discs going back to 1999 and each one draws comparisons to Metallica. In some cases the comparisons suggest Diablo is the better. That's no small statement. All I can say is this song is simply awesome. From the heavy pounding open to the melodic verses you know this is different and a bit ahead of the curve of the bridge between Thrash and new fashioned MetalCore. Then you get to the solo - and click add to favorites. 

Next Update: Pretty voices - Female Fronted Metal

No comments:

Post a Comment