Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Pretty Voices - FFM

Pretty Voices- Female Fronted Metal

In my search for new and interesting music I voyaged into the realms of Finland and somehow onto a course that lead me to fall in love with Symphonic Metal. Being a sub-genre of metal, there is some dissent amongst its fans, mostly regarding who is and what defines the difference between Symphonic Metal and Gothic Metal. The main gripe is the a-typical formula of piano intro, some strings section to fill in the verses, some heavy guitar chords during the choruses, vague references to vampires and the most important, have a female singer.
  I had no idea there was all this going on - I was just clicking and searching for interesting music So it seems adding a Female singer to a metal band has become quite a trend overseas, and we are starting to see it here in the US also (Evanescence, Paramore, Flyleaf, Phoenix, and now In The Moment) I began to see a soft side of metal with these pretty voices in contrast to all the scream-core that was out there. But there is a stark difference from what I discovered early and what I found later.... First up, Xandria....



Xandria - Save My Life FFM - Symphonic Metal / Gothic Metal.Germany 2005: Xandria has since changed singers, here in this one, perhaps her best performance Lisa Middlehuave beckons beautifully, although straight to the aforementioned stereotype. Not headbanging material but worth a listen. I was beginning to think this music was mostly just weak sounding metal with pretty voices. I would find a band with promise, perhaps with a beautiful girl at the vocals and the songs were just lamer than the next one. I kept this one noted because it stood out from that pack and it was linked to many others... Such as Epica  




Epica - Solitary Ground
 Symphonic Metal - Holland - 2005. If you've never seen or heard of Epica or their singer, Simone Simons, I expect you to go into a shock - like I did and just about anyone with a pulse - when you see and hear Simone for the first time. Which is why I pick this one as the intro to them (it was the first one for me and here is a clue- its not the last I will share here). Ok so you have piano-check, violins-check, hot singer-check! heavy guitars - uhm no this is a ballad. What's so special then? You should know by now- Simone is ultra talented. There is more than 1 reason she's the singer...Her voice is as beautiful as her looks and this song, is superbly written. On display here is restraint, emotion and a message. I hope you enjoy this one and everything I post here regarding this band, for this is a gem for even those who know the heavier material from them.
 


Silentium - Dead Silent Gothic Metal: Finland 2005 And now I stumbled back to Finland and clicking through a band I heard some promise from but hadnt fully impressed me yet - until I found this amazing song. The reason again- the singer. Silientium was classified in thier early beginnings as Doom Metal or even an experimental soundtrack band who mixed long doom-styled metal -just short of thrash- paired with a male and female vocalist. Their original singer had shown promise but it was the addition of Riina Rinkinen, who put this band completly on the map. Her voice is so unique to this style I will not compare her to anyone just out of respect - her clean and soft tones are as disarming as they are chilling. Her ability to dip in and out of her outer range is not common, you dont just write that for the vocalist and expect it to go well. This is the song that got me hooked and turned onto them 100% and I can only expect you to get the chills within the first few notes.
  The band adds cello and keys into the mix (previous releases were with violin instead). Once Riina begins you know this is different. It quickly became one of my very favorites and caused me to tell everyone I know about this song. The songwriting is top notch along with the inspired vocal performance. The guy doesn't even get in the way like their much earlier work. Now I am impressed. Finland strikes again.

Next Blog: The First Batch of my favorites....

No comments:

Post a Comment