Monday, September 27, 2010

Epic Songs from Epica

Symphonic Metal Saved My Life -
Epic Songs from Epica

   Digging through my bookmarks and songlist histories, my Endless Search began without much documentation. My timeline is still a bit fuzzy so I try here at this point to concede a slight defeat by the "youtube gremlins". Once I rediscovered the songs from the previous post (The Attack of Velcra), I yearned to learn more,  knowing I had already a decent list, I went back to my earliest links to search deeper. I Found Deeper. The first song in my playlist at the time was Epica's Cry for the Moon (see review in the post The First Batch) and it convinced me to dive further into their catalog. What I discovered was simply amazing to me. It was simply a wondrous moment to hear these full-on orchestras with full classical choirs matched up with superb singing and songwriting all while being quite heavy and the furthest from the dirge of today's mainstream music. Each song painted a movie's worth of drama and excitement. I was beginning to come around to the realization that this thing called symphonic metal was the genre I've been waiting for.
  Come along with me on this Journey, my Epic Voyage, my Endless Search for music that lifts my spirit, that inspires my creative fire and simply moves me from deep within. Epica is one of those few bands which can do this and do it with meaning. There is a message here, it is intelligent and builds upon what used to be the norm - concept albums or even a consistent thread among an artists catalog as a whole. This is not for me to put into words it is for you to discover along on your own journey.
  I searched for deep. I Found Deep


Epica - Beyond Belief 2007 One of the most epic songs I know - without being overdrawn, or too ambitious, or so self indulgent which inevitably cuts down on re-listens, here the opposite occurs. It leads you in as a standard song but stops and shocks you consistently throughout as found in the first open, with the ultra high reach of Simone. As always the quiet moments are meant to be heard.
  This song about our time and uncertainty and the oncoming advances of technology takes us all too quickly away from that which is spiritual. Simple concept placed together in an epic package. The heavy breakdowns with the violin accent points and talk-overs cue you to know there is more going on than just the operatics. The heavy breakdown reminds me of a megadeth meets sabbath moment - but with a heavy groaning choir in the background - quite powerful. And its a perfect lead-in to the frantic unleashing of the powerful and meaningful - Final End.


Dance of Fate 2005 Before The Divine Conspiracy there was the 2005 release of Consign to Oblivion, which this incredibly dynamic and well written symphonic metal epic song hails from along with the eye-opening ballad "Solitary Ground" (see post The First Batch). In this song the marriage of a classical choir and double bass is a perfect match. Add the vocal acrobatics from Simone and it all works very well. The full choir sections are married to staccato stop beats and alternate with full-on speed metal drums. Adding more dynamics are the softer sections which give a lot more weight to the lyrics and urge you to listen in to the message.
   The brief break down is followed by an inspired section- complete with harpsicords and choir accents. Then the most convincing part for me comes in, a quiet and meaningful lyric then a powerful reprise of the chorus and the grand finale from the choir. The whole thing is quiet marvelous and an inspiring combination that completely convinced me I have been listening to the wrong music for years. I am finally home.



Sancta Terra
2007 One of the best aspects of a band like Epica is they aren't simply just putting pieces of this and that together and hope it all works. Epica is a complete package, from the meaning behind their name, to their conceptual releases, and topical content. This is the first song which opened my eyes to this concept. All of which means Epica is deep. There is more to explore lyrically. But being hi-brow or being artsy does not quantify great music so its not what attracted me to them- its just an added bonus. Here is simply another extraordinary example of what put Epica on the map in the genre. Symphonic passages of violins and choirs entwine within the dynamic performance of Simone. The quiet breakdown followed by a full on ripping metal passage with choir and double bass and the whole symphony flowing on top of the guitars creates a musical experience which far surpasses the status-quo of most bands. The exit with only the male choir echoing the lyrics add a distinct touch.
 
These 3 songs each are an epic journey. Stories within stories. They also symbolize my quest to find more epic moments, hidden perhaps from view for years or perhaps just on the horizon. I was seemingly uncovering treasures from a wide array of years, mostly from 2002 to 2007. I began to think I should go further back to understand this explosion of creativity. Who spawned it all? Was it just that after years of influence by Nightwish that their disciples were finally making great music? What time frame or more important, Where should I turn to next?

Next Blog: Setting Sails for Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment