Sunday, September 19, 2010

Attack of Velcra


Attack of Velcra
 Industrial Metal / Rap Metal / Electronica

  Half Electronic, Half Heavy Metal, and Part Rap, with a female singer, from Finland. Not a combination that I would expect to greet with much success or passion. But I discovered differently. I had not known at the time I just discovering this band that I would eventually lean more towards symphonic metal but I also knew I hadn't heard anything like them - or at least if I had, it wasn't with good results. After bookmarking one of their breakthrough hits "Our will against their will" (previous post Finland P2) I clicked through just about anything I could find from them at the time and I did have mixed results. Once I figured I had narrowed it down to 2 or 3 songs I was happy - Very Happy actually.
   Looking closer at these 3 songs my leave you scratching your head a little. Wondering why you never heard of them but you may know Guano Apes (the band they are most compared to, unfortunately) or perhaps why they sound so polished on one song and so aggressive on another. I stopped all the question marks except this one, if any of these songs just randomly came on your player, wouldn't you turn it up and then say "I need some more of that!"

Links for Velcra for more info:
 Myspace : http://www.myspace.com/velcra
 Last.fm http://www.last.fm/music/Velcra
 Facebook Velcra Profile


Velcra - My Law 2005-Finland.  Still my favorite song from Velcra, My Law is from their second release "Consequences of Disobedience"  is as bombastic and full-on as any metal song and Jessi Fray really delivers her strong range in this song. I thought the song was pretty awesome then I saw the lyrics and it vaulted into my permanent top listing. The lyrics are very self-empowered. Take the good with the bad. Some of the lines I borrow for my own quotes they are so good such as "...all we need is already here, what it needs is for own eyes to see" and "..my criteria does not originate from the materia.." There is a live performance video here, it gets a little strange but the link above sounds best and a bonus of the frantic "War is Peace", a song I can easily say shows very early influence to today's hyper-kinetic electronica full of flash and speed - but from their debut "Between Force and Fate"


Velcra - Can't Stop Fighting  Finland 2005 Also from "Consequences of Disobedience". Once I began to understand this band, this one showed up on youtube and more of the same emotions came out - why haven't I heard them before!! Come to find out this song was a few compilation CDs and fans everywhere were going crazy to get a hold of it. This song, while still heavy does not focus so much on the rap-chants of My Law or Our Will - but relies heavily on the melodic vocals of Jessi Fry. The rhythms in the verses remind me of Infectious Grooves or perhaps Static-X matched with the heavy breakdown in the chorus creates a great rift between the 2 sections. Dynamics are good.


Velcra - Memory Loss 2005 Finland: A great example of what this band is really capable of- powerful Crossover Metal with a sound unlinke anything you listen to now. Here her vocal is so strong and relentless you forget shes a pretty petite Finnish girl. The breakdown towards the end shows there is alot of promise to what they can produce. Overlapping keyboards add a hint to what Velcra would eventually morph into - a mostly electronic band. We will get to that later in this search - trust me.

Next: Very Epic songs from Epica

No comments:

Post a Comment